Wednesday 19 August 2015

World of Warcraft cards




Long time no update! OK, so these were technically my first commission! Two friends of mine were also attending Q-Con in World of Warcraft Alliance costumes that they had made themselves. To add to this, they asked me to design some business cards to act as a 'Call to Arms' to join them.

I know barely anything about the game, so I had to rely on my friends for guidance. Essentially, all they needed was the Alliance lion emblem, with a passage from the game's lore below it. Because I was very pushed for time before Q-Con, with work (and working on my Ace Ventura performance!) I was actually nervous that I wouldn't complete this in time, but welcomed the challenge. I got a few reference images of the Alliance emblem and found that they usually have a metallic texture. I decided to emulate this, but also keep within my usual flat, graphic style. So I played around with a few gradients and shading techniques, but still keeping it simplistic looking. As for the font, I wanted to keep it all caps and sans serif, so I chose Futura. This kept it legible and also kept it within the style that I was going for. Then I added a few lines to help frame the message and added a subtle gradient to the background to finish it off.

Overall, I was proud that I was able to finish this in such a short time span and get them sent to Nathan in time for printing for the con! Above, I've shown a few photos of the cards beside my friend's Warcraft hammer prop for scale and to show the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment