Sunday 24 May 2015

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream


I read the classic short story by Harlan Ellison: 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.' The story is about a post-apocalyptic world in which a super computer called 'AM' keeps a small group of humans alive and constantly tortures them. I made a collage in my sketchbook featuring Ellison himself, with the title spelt out in mismatched, uneven letters which I cut from newspapers. These were placed over Ellison's mouth and a background photo of several people in gas masks.

The page on the right is a simple typographic piece of AM's famous speech about how much he hates humans. The font I used was the standard 'agency' style, which fits with the retro-futuristic style of computer that AM is. I then decided to alter this page in Photoshop, adding various stained and crumpled textures, to give a real sense of damage and weathering, much like the world featured in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment