Monday 4 October 2010

Local/Famous Illustrators



I was asked to research two artists that practice in my preffered area of VisCom, in my case, illustration. One example had to be well-known, and another local. For my famous example, I used Chris Riddell. He is an artist that primarily works on children's books, such as the award winning Lord of the Rings parody 'Muddle Earth.' He is also a political cartoonist, contributing to The Observer every week, with his own unique views on the latest politcal news.
For my local artist, I looked at the independent artist group 'Stray Design', who have mainly worked with local clients, such as a local noodle branch, creating a character for their brand, and Orange, by designing some bird characters to be used in their advertising campaigns. The company works with several different types of media, including hand-drawn, vector and digitally painted. Even though these two artists are very different in terms of their different 'fame' status, I like both of their work equally, from Riddell's scribbly, yet detailed artwork, to Stray's simplistic cartoon characters, they both have a certain appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment